Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My Front Yard :)

I used to have an awesome and huge graveyard in my backyard growing up. It was great for walks, shortcuts, and drinking with friends...... It has now been 1-upped, however, by my new front yard; Beer Park!! I live Hirakata at the moment; more specifically, Seminar House 4, where an outdoor party is only a 2 minute walk away. Thanks to the beer vending machine and the generous lack of public drinking laws in Japan, I think not of Beer Park so much as my front yard as I do my second home!! Here you can see a couple of pictures where locals and gaijin alike gather for their fix. It is not uncommon, infact, to see business men stopping at the vending machine at late hours via bicycle to grab a brew on the go. These particular photos were taken before the night really picked up. In one shot a girl was evaluating the selection. The other photo portrays a friend of mine, posing with a Japanese student we recently met, sitting on a very nice bike. I am jealous, looking at his bike.... knowing I can only return to my old fashioned bicycle when I need to transport. However, after spending countless yen here in Japan, I can feel nothing but positive emotions when I enter Beer Park, as it is cheap, convieniently close to home, and filled with friendly folks that are entertaining enough to keep me from doing expensive travel and kaimono (shopping) anymore... Hail Beer Park!!

1 comment:

  1. I like your photos - the night-time shots against your black blog layout look sharp.

    You might want to check out the post (and my comments) from your classmate last week:

    http://everythinggoesweird.blogspot.com/2010/09/early-impression-of-japan.html#comments

    As an anthropologist you might want to examine the function of the park from the perspective of the permanent local residents as opposed to that of temporary student residents. Unfortunately there has been some conflict here. How do the actual residents use the park in the day and at night? What is the role of this park in the neighborhood?

    ReplyDelete